20050924

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing

This track is an experiment with multitrack recording, about which I have much to learn! If you're new to this podcast/blog, and want to see what I'm about, please check out some of my other works.

Piano by Joel now has over 150 subscribers! I'd like to thank everyone for listening. A special thank you to those who frequent the blog... iTunes is fantastic, but it lacks the interactivity of a blog, and I love hearing from my listeners. Keep those comments and requests coming.

I thought I'd have some fun with Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, an old hymn by Robert Robinson (1735-1790) with music by John Wyeth (1770-1858.) What great lyrics:

Come, thou fount of every blessing
Tune my heart to sing thy grace
Streams of mercy, never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise
Teach me some melodious sonnet
Sung by flaming tongues above
Praise the mount! I'm fixed upon it
Mount of thy redeeming love

Similar to Oh For a Thousand Tongues (see this post), this song reminds me of my own inadequacy to express the praise that Christ deserves. I think the author would understand, as the phrases "tune my heart to sing thy grace" and "teach me some melodious sonnet" each indicate his dependency on God himself to provide the necessary inspiration.

In this rendition, I once again experiment with percussion and additional instrumentation. Although amateurish, I figure the only way I'll ever improve is to try new things. Hope you enjoy (or at least tolerate) the piece.

Click Here to Listen

View Entire Index of Songs and Scores
Vote and/or Leave Comments
Contact Joel
Link to Piano by Joel

2 Comments:

At 4:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far, I have two favorites, this one "Come Thou Fount......." and "At the Cross". They are both beautiful arrangements!

 
At 4:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there any way I can get this arrangement to play at my wedding?

-Martha Guinn, TN

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home