20051103

Blest Be the Tie that Binds

One of our church traditions, especially when one of our church family is moving on to parts unknown, is to join hands in a circle and sing Blest Be the Tie that Binds. This song, commonly sung to an old melody by Hans Nageli (1773-1836) speaks of the bond shared by those who have placed their faith in Christ:

Blest be the tie that binds
Our hearts in Christian love
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like to that above.
(John Fawcett, 1740-1817)

These lyics remind me of Christ's prayer in John 17:

Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

My goal in today's piece, a duet for piano and flute, was to suggest the "fellowship of kindred minds" by the intertwining of the two instruments. As usual, it's a work in progress, a communication of a musical idea that hasn't completely reached fruition. Piano by Joel, after all, is a place for musical ideas, not completed, polished works. But I still think you might enjoy it. I may post a piano-only version of this song in the near future as well.

Click here to listen.

View Entire Index of Songs and Scores
Vote and/or Leave Comments
Contact Joel
Link to Piano by Joel

1 Comments:

At 1:37 PM , Blogger Scott Kahler said...

I would like to know if I could use your verison of
Blest be the Tie That Binds as an intro for my podcast. Is that ok? Giving it away to listen to and using it in a podcast are two different things. Do I have permission?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home